Tuesday, November 11, 2014

How to Transition Summer/Spring Clothes into the Colder Months

Hello lovelies!
I'm very sorry for the lack of posts lately, but I have been bombarded with school work, studying for exams, and a couple of papers that I cannot put off. That added to the fact that the sun now goes down a lot earlier, gives me almost no time to shoot any pictures, making it very difficult to create any content for me to share with you guys. Last week I received a question from a lovely Instagram follower asking me how I transition my clothes into the fall/winter and if I had any suggestions for her. I sent her an email explaining how I do it, but last night it occurred to me that there could be other people out there who need some help in transitioning their clothes from the warmer months into something that can also be worn during the colder months. We got our first snowfall of the season yesterday here in Colorado, and I had to come to the realization that the warmer months are finally behind us and it's time to buckle up and get ready to come up with new outfit ideas for these really cold months. This year for me has been a complete style journey and my personal style has definitely changed a lot, so I want to keep up the progress even during the colder months when you are pretty much stuck wearing sweaters and boots everyday. I hope you all find these tips helpful, and I cannot wait to see how you guys incorporate my tips into your everyday wardrobe, so if you do, please be sure to tag me on Instagram (@makefashionyourown) and use the hashtag #makefashionyourown so I can see! Stay warm, and I will talk to you all soon!




Layer up
I know this sounds so obvious, but this is the best way to transition your clothes is by layering. You can do this a number of which ways (tights, shirts underneath your sweaters, adding a scarf). I usually add a big cardigan on top, a scarf, you can even add some tights underneath your dresses, shorts, and skirts to make them more appropriate for colder weather. There is no reason that you should have to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe for the colder months as long as you master the art of layering. Every year I go out and buy a few tights (usually from Forever 21), a couple cable knit scarves (usually from Plato's Closet) and some new vests or sweaters (usually from my local Goodwill) to add to my wardrobe. You can seriously wear most of your clothes from the warmer months in the fall/winter as long as you layer and bundle up.

Add a hat
There is nothing more fall/winter than adding a big  floppy hat to complete your outfit. I have accumulated 6 hats in the last year all in different colors, because they are seriously the easiest thing to throw on in the mornings to complete your outfit, hide a bad hair day, and just transition your basic tee and jeans warmer months uniform into something thats worthy of being seen in during the colder months. I like to wear some of my summery dresses in the fall time by added a denim shirt, a big hat, and some booties. It's all about how you style an outfit.

Boots
This is another one that seems very obvious, but adding a pair of boots or booties can make any outfit more appropriate for the fall time. I love wearing riding boots with some of my more summery skirts in the fall, and I have even paired some booties with some shorts and big cardigan. Again, it's all about who you style an outfit. You can find some really cute and affordable boots at Ross, TJMaxx, and even thrift stores. Thats where I purchased all of mine last year! I usually add a pair of boot socks, or even some leg warmers and make sure you can see them from the top of your boots whenever I'm wearing them with a skirt or dress to make the whole outfit just seem more cozy and fall/winter appropriate.

Some Transitional Weather Outfits


I added some knee high socks, boots, and a sweater to my skater skirt

I added a big floppy hat and some booties to this summery dress

I added a sweater and some booties to these summery palazzo pants

Boots, a scarf, and a vest made this summer dress fall time chic

A big cardigan, chunky cable knit scarf, and some boots for class






I hope these tips were helpful and that you got some ideas for how to make your warmer weather clothes work in the colder months!







For a daily dose of fashion and sass, be sure to check out my social media pages :)
Instagram: @makefashionyourown
Twitter: @prettyfab17
Pinterest: @cynthiapayan18
Snapchat: @cynthiap18



No comments:

Post a Comment