Saturday, January 4, 2014

My Top Shopping Tips

Hey guys!
Welcome back to my blog! Today I wanted to share with you guys my super nifty shopping tips, and the reason that I can dress like I do on a college students budget. These are seriously so easy, but they will save you tons of cash every year, which you can either save, or if you're like me, you can just spend it all on more shopping. I hope these are all helpful and will help you save some money! I will talk to you all on Monday!


1. Hit Up A Smaller Mall
In the area where I live, there are super big malls like Park Meadows, Cherry Creek, and Colorado Mills. They have amazing stores and they're HUGE, but for me, I prefer to stay in my little mall, South West Plaza. Why you may ask? Well, they have all the stores I like to shop at: Forever 21, Wet Seal, Charlotte Russe, DEB, and occasionally a department store, but the best part is that a smaller mall is wayy cheaper than the bigger more known malls. They have better deals and they're just cheaper in general. For example, a cami from Forever 21 will cost you $1.80 at South West Plaza, but will run you $2.80 at Park Meadows. Since they're not as busy as other malls, they tend to have more sales, and since they have less people, you're more likely to find what you like at a better price.

2. Hit The Sales Rack
Sales racks are the only place I shop at when I'm at a store. I just find it ridiculous to pay full price for an item that will be more than 50% off in a few weeks. You can find so many cute things in the sales racks, and places like Charlotte Russe will give you more off, if you are buying something with a little hole in it. I seriously have gotten some great pieces from there. Also, if you shop at places like Wet Seal, they have an amazing additional 60% off their already marked down prices. You can find stuff for only a few dollars!

3. Thrifting
This past semester, I recently became OBSESSED with thrifting. It just saves you so much money, and my favorite part is that you can always find something different. I was able to score some amazing sweaters, an amazing handbag, wallet, and some various bottoms. I have a previous post talking all about this, called "5 Unexpected Places I love to Shop," and you guys can check that out to see my favorite thrift stores and how to find the best deals while shopping there. Just simply click the link, and it will take you to that post.

4. Steal Vs. Splurge
Once you start getting older, you're pretty much going to be the same height and size for the next decade or so or maybe even longer. That's when this Steal vs. Splurge rule comes in handy. If its something that you know you're going to be wearing for years and years to come, then splurge on the item, but if it's a trendy piece like pleather leggings or that aztec print cardigan, than don't invest a ton of cash on items like that. That's where stores like Forever 21 and Charlotte Russe come in. Sure, you may find things at those stores that have lasted you many years, but most of that stuff isn't made to last for ages, and that's why they're so inexpensive. Now a leather jacket, a little black dress, and a pair of nice black pumps are things that you're going to be wearing for many years to come, so make sure you spend a little more on items like those, especially if you're going to be wearing them a lot, to ensure they don't come apart.

5. DIY
I have this thing where I refuse to buy anything I can make myself. For example; last Spring, Summer, and Fall, flower crowns/halos were really in, but they were also super expensive, so I decided to head over to my local dollar store, pick up some pretty fake flowers, some cream and black ribbon, and make them at home myself. They came out super cute, and I'm even thinking of posting a DIY on how to make them. The best part about DIYing something, is that you can personalize it, and make it your own, and sometimes even make things that other people don't have or couldn't find in stores easily. Check out YouTube for millions of DIY videos, believe me, it's totally worth it.

6. Know Your Closet
This one seems like a complete "Well Duh," tip, but the truth is, most of us have bought things very similar to what we own because we don't know what's in our closets. This is why I suggest you clean out your closet, at least once a month. It's a way to get reacquainted with your closet, and remind yourself of what you already own, so you don't drop cash on something you already have. If you want to read my tips on cleaning out your closet, click here. I talk about some really useful tips that could really help improve your closet, and save you tons of money every year.

7. Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshalls
Again this is something that I've talked about before, so if you want to know about my tips for shopping at a store like this, and why you should shop at these kinds of stores, click here

8. Sign Up for Email Alerts
You know how at all stores they ask you for your email? And sometimes you just don't want to give it to them because you know they're just going to be spamming you? Well, give them your email, better yet, ask them if they have an email list. This will ensure that you are getting an alert everytime they're having a big sale, or they're having an ah-mazing flash sale. You have no idea how much money you can save by doing this.

9. Shop Alone & Shop For You
These two go hand in hand because have you ever bought something just because someone said it looked good on you, but you never wore it because you didn't like it? Yes? Well, I've done that so many times, and in the end, the only one who pays the consequence is me, because I spent money on something that I never wore, so it still had tags, when I ended up giving it away. People call me a loner whenever I go shopping alone, but I honestly just prefer to shop with no one trying to convince me into buying something that I know I just don't feel comfortable in, especially my mom. My mom is the queen in making me think I need something or telling me I look great in something, when I just don't really like it, but I buy it anyways just to not hurt her feelings. Now, don't get me wrong, I know she means really well, but I have spent way too much money trying to spare everyones feelings, so now I just shop for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment