Thursday, June 19, 2014

20 Fashion Lessons I've Learned in my 20 years as a Fashionista

Hi guys!
First off I want to start off by apologizing for not having a post ready for yesterday, but as some of you know, I turned 20 on June 18 and so I was a little busy and didn't have the time to get it up yesterday after work!

For today's post, I wanted to do something a little different. In my 20 years on this earth, I've learned a lot of different lessons about life and fashion, and I thought it would be cool to share with you all 20 fashion related lessons I've learned in my 20 years of life. This isn't supposed to be some super serious post with tons of lessons and advice you should all pay attention to, but it's just more of me sharing some of the things that I've learned.

I hope you all like it, and I will talk to you guys tomorrow on my next post. Have a great days loves :)



1. Don't dress to impress boys. A few years ago, I read this quote by Betsey Johnson that said, 

“Girls do not dress for boys. They dress for themselves and, of course, each other. If girls dressed for boys they’d just walk around naked at all times." This is one of those things you should take at face value because Betsey is completely right. Boys will always rather you just be naked all the time. If you want to impress them, start by dressing to impress yourself first. Guys just don't care about those kinds of things. 

2. It's okay to have awkward stages. Everyone goes through an awkward stage (some of us go through a few) growing up. It's part of life. The sooner you start accepting that there's nothing you can do about the fact that you're a 5'5" 7th grader, the sooner you can start trying to find and figure out what clothes you like to wear and flatter your body. 

3. If you like it, wear it. This is probably one of the most important things you can put to use in your life. Don't let a fashion magazine tell you that you can't wear a crop top because you don't have a flat tummy. You're 4'5" and want to wear a maxi skirt? Than wear it! Don't let anyone tell you you can't wear something. If you like it, wear it. Simple as that.

4. Just because it's on sale, doesn't mean you have to buy it. Who of you that are reading this, have bought something just because it was on sale, and still have it in your closet 2 years later, with the tags still on? I have done this so much, that I could've probably taken all the money I spent on those clothes that I've never worn, and have bought 2 Kate Spade totes. I have gotten so much better as knowing how to build my wardrobe and knowing that just because something is on sale, doesn't mean I'm gonna wear it, and most importantly that I shouldn't buy it. My biggest piece of advice while shopping in the sale rack and trying to control yourself, is to ask yourself to come up with 3 outfits that you can wear (and actually will wear) with the item you're about to buy. If you can't, then you should probably pass. 

5. Just because you like something, doesn't mean you should buy it in every color. Again, just because you like it, doesn't mean you need to own it in every color. I can't tell you how many times I've bought the same item in 4 or 5 different colors because I really liked it (and it was on sale) and have never even worn it. I suggest that if you really like a sweater you get it in two different colors or prints max. Any more than that, and you probably aren't going to wear the same sweater in 5 or 6 different colors or styles in one season. Same goes for shoes, jewelry, accessories, & any kind of clothes. Just save your money and buy other things you actually will wear. 

6. Building your confidence takes time. Fake it till you make it. Even if you are the shyest or quietest person in the room, start by believing you have the confidence of a supermodel. If you believe it, pretty soon everyone else around you is going to believe it too.

7. Modest is honest. There is nothing worse than being that girl at a party or a school dance who is showing way to much. Pick what your want to highlight. You want to show off your chest area, pick something with a sweetheart neckline and keep the rest of your body as covered as you can. Want to show off your mile long legs? Than pick something with a modest slit or some cute shorts, but keep your upper body covered modestly, but in a way that still speaks to your style. The same goes for dates. You never want to appear as if you're "easy" (even though you're not), just because you're showing a little too much skin.

8. Heels are not appropriate in a college campus. The only exception to this rule is when you have to dress up for a class presentation. You do not want to be the girl who has to take her heels off during the middle of the day or during class, just because you wanted to be fancy for school. My suggestion? Invest in some flats, sneakers (cute ones), and maybe some comfy wedges if that's more your style. If you do have to wear heels for a presentation, I suggest you carry a pair of flats (that match your outfit of course) in your purse or school bag, so you don't have to wear the heels all day.

9. Just because it's trendy, doesn't mean you have to wear it. This is going back to #3. Even the trendiest fashionistas don't follow every single trend. Crop tops not your thing? No problem. You hate leather leggings? Don't wear it. Dress for you, not for a magazine.

10. Shop thrift stores. This one is pretty self explanatory. I have found some of the best items in my closet at thrift stores. Right now, I am pretty obsessed with Plato's closet. They have tons of cute stuff that doesn't break the bank. I have a special challenge that I'm doing right now, and I will post about all of that in the very near future, and hopefully inspire you all to start shopping at thrift stores too!

11. Somethings are worth the splurge. As much as I love the sales and clearance racks at every store, I think that sometimes you should save your money and splurge a little on a nice handbag or a good pair of jeans. Things that you're going to be wearing for a long time, or maybe something that you've wanted for forever. You should treat yourself every once in while.

12. Surround yourself with people who inspire and motivate you. This one is a pretty big one. If you don't have people around you that let you grow and become your own person, you'll never be truly happy. I'm truly lucky to have parents who let me follow my dream of being a fashion designer and who let me grow into a person that I'm proud to be. The same goes for friends. If you have so called friends who tell you you'll never reach your goals, you'll always doubt yourself.

13. Surround yourself with inspiring things. I like to surround myself with fashion-y things that inspire me. I turned the wall next to my closet into my fashion inspiration wall, and I will cut out outfits from magazines that I really like, and the next time I can't quite figure out what to wear, I look over and find some instant inspiration. I also have a couple of collages of some couture gowns and handbags and such that I have around my room, to make myself feel inspired on a daily basis.

14. You look good, you feel good, you do good. It's simple & self explanatory.

15. Always have a little black dress and a pair of black pumps on hand. You have no idea how much you will use these two items in your high schools/college/post college life. They will never go out of style. You want to make sure that these two items are something that you spend a little more money on, because you will literally have these for years, and you can always wear these two things for anything.

16. A good blazer can make your entire wardrobe. You want this item to be of nice material and something that you can wear with anything. You can wear it over a dress, with jeans and a tee shirt, with a cute skirt. The possibilities are endless. I've found my best blazers at thrift stores, so I would check your local thrift store to see if you can find anything before you invest in anything too pricey.

17. Leopard is a neutral. It just is. No questions asked.

18. Don't let other people dictate what you wear. Not even Anna Wintour. Wear what you want to wear.

19. Fake it till you make it. This applies to everything. Confidence, fearlessness, walking in heels, fabulousness. Just fake it, till you make it.

20. Be yourself. Nothing says trendsetter or fashionista more than knowing who you are, and working it. Just be yourself. Don't let anyone dim your sparkle.




For a daily dose of fashion and sass, please check out my social media pages :)
Instagram: @makefashionyourown
Pinterest: @cynthiapayan18
Twitter: @prettyfab17


No comments:

Post a Comment