Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Why I Thrift

Hi guys!
For today's post, I wanted to talk to you about something that I always get tons of questions on...Thrift Store shopping (thrifting for all my fellow fashionistas). I'm going to talk about why I prefer to shop at a thrift store as opposed to retail, how to find the best deals, plus I'll even share with you guys outfits that I've created and styled using thrifted pieces :)

1. Why thrifting? 
I wasn't much of a thrift store shopper up until the summer before my senior year, when I went into Goodwill one Saturday and discovered that for less than $40, I could purchase designer blazers, as well as handbags, and even some really cute brand new dresses from Target. I fell in love with the idea of being able to purchase unique items that no one else from my high school would have at really good prices. Back then it wasn't necessarily about the money, but more about how much cool stuff I could find. I saw it as a treasure hunt. When I started college last Fall, my budget for spending on clothes was definitely very very reduced, so I used thrifting as a way to be able to change up my style without breaking the bank.

2. My favorite places to Thrift
I don't have a ridiculous amount of different thrift stores around my area, so I have 3 that I really like to go to when I'm wanting to add some stuff to my wardrobe.
Plato's Closet- This is definitely my favorite one because it's geared towards teens and girls in their twenties, plus they have everything divided into sections, making it easier to find what I'm looking for. I personally love shopping at the Plato's Closet in Littleton, CO, so if you're from the area and shop there, we'll probably run into each other!
Goodwill- Now there's about 3 Goodwills that I love to shop at in my area, and the reason I go there is because Target donates everything they don't sell from their clearance section to the local goodwills in the area, so I've been able to score some amazing designer for Target pieces for less than $10!
Arc- Theres one not too far from my house and although I don't really tend to go there, every time I do, I mentally kick myself for not going there more often because I always get really good stuff! For example, this past weekend I ended up there and I found 2 tees, a blazer, 2 books, and 3 brand new VOGUE magazines (that I hadn't purchased) for less than $12!

3. How to get the best deals
Plato's Closet- Go follow your local Plato's on any social media platform that you have! They always post all of the sales they have going on a few days before they actually happen giving you time to plan ahead and make plans to go!
Goodwill- Goodwill has a sale everyday. They usually have their best sales on every other saturday, where they have 50% off most tags. If you stop into your local Goodwill, they'll even give you a small calendar flyer for the current month detailing you what sales they're having for everyday that month!
Arc- I'm not completely sure how often Arc has their 50% off sale, but I have heard that it's every other weekend as well! Different Arc's have different sales dates, so make sure to also stop into your local arc and ask how often they have their sales!

4. My favorite Thrifting finds 
Shorts: Loft Girl (Purchased from Plato's Closet)
$6
Coral Maxi Skirt: Mossimo Supply Co (Puchased at Plato's Closet)
$7 (BNWT)
Cream Purse: Mossimo Supply Co (Purchased at Plato's Closet)
$10

Lilac Top: (Purchased from Plato's Closet) $3
Black Circle Skirt: Forever 21 (Purchased at Goodwill) $4

Prabal Gurang for Target Dress (Purchased at Plato's Closet) $5

(All Purchased from Plato's Closet)
Leopard Button Down: Zara Basic $8
Sequin Blazer: Forever 21 $10
Studded Heels: Steve Madden $14

(Top & Skirt both Purchased from Plato's Closet)
Tank: Forever 21 $3
Skater Skirt: Charlotte Russe $3

(Tank, Skirt, & Shoes all purchased at Plato's Closet Littleton)
Tank: Merona $5
Skirt: GAP $3
Shoes: Bamboo $8

Dress: Merona (Purchased at Goodwill)
$7 BNWT
Sandals: Mossimo Supply (Purchased at Plato's Closet)
$5

(Both Purchased at Plato's Closet)
Dress: $5
Purse: Charming Charlies $10

Skirt: Cherokee (Purchased at Goodwill)
$4
Sandals: Charlotte Russe (Purchased at Plato's Closet)
$3

Skirt: Peter Pilloto For Target (Purchased at Goodwill)
$6 BNWT

Skirt: Peter Pilloto For Target (Purchased at Goodwill)
$6 BNWT
Shoes: Red Kiss (Purchased at Plato's Closet)
$14



Follow me on my social media!
Pinterest: @cynthiapayan18
Twitter: @prettyfab17
Instagram: @makefashionyourown
Snapchat: @cynthiap18

No comments:

Post a Comment